Friday, August 28, 2009

NYX round lipstick : way too hyped ???



If there is a brand of lipstick that has been talked about on the net and on youtube is gotta be NYX round Lipsticks. Many of their fans say that the price and color range is what attracts them to this particular lipstick. After seeing so many girls posting their swatches and using them on their youtube tutorials, I said to myself " Hmmm...I gotta try these and say if they are all what they cracked up to be". One lesson I learned on my journey of trying items recommended or "highly recommended" by many people is that *just because it works for them does not necesssarily means it will work for me*. Sadly, NYX round lipsticks fit in that category.




Me and my friend purchased 1 tube. I got the NYX RL in Celebrate while she bought Twist. At Ulta these are around 3 dollars or so ( i believe, I could be wrong). The selection is not as big as many online retailers, but atleast they had some nice colors. When I got home I got excited and wanted to try this lipstick on immediately. Well, once I started to apply this lipstick, I felt something wrong. The formula of this lipstick is too, well cheap. I mean once you apply it it feels like Mica and mineral oil together. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING MOISTURISING ABOUT THIS LIPSTICK!!!!! NOTHING !!!!!!!! After a minute of so, my lips felt so dry i had to remove my lipstick. I was not the only one either, my friend had the exact same reaction !!!!!!
It says on their website that "
This is a velvet-textured lip cream that covers the lips with rich color and smoothes and moisturizes lips with each application". If by velvet they mean that once you apply it, your lips look like velvet because they (the lipstick) are drying your lips, they are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT about that !
I am not trying to put NYX down. In fact I am a huge fan of their eyeshadows, but they have truly dissapointed me with this line of lipsticks. I will not buy any of their lipsticks again. They need..in fact I URGE them to reformulate the RL. For them to add shea butter and natural oils like avocado. If you are going to be buying NYX Round lipsticks, I urge to apply a nice lipbalm before proceeding to apply your NYX RL. You have been warned !

*ABOUT THE COLORS THAT WERE SWATCHED*

CELEBRATE: its a nice burnt orange color. perfect for the fall/winter.
TWIST: like a pinkish color. don't get this color. it will fade with your lipcolor.

INGREDIENTS:








Round Lipstick
Ceresin Wax, Polyethlene Wax, Microcrystalline Wax, Beeswax, Lanoline Oil, Isopropyl Myristate, Mineral Oils, Octyl Palmitate, BHA, Propyl Paraben, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, D&C Red No.A1 Lake,
Pearl Powder, Iron Oxide.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle (Hopefully I am not talking to the wrong person) I personally have never tried any NYX lipsticks because I usually like to buy those with prettier (tougher) tubes.

    As a personal preference, I avoid buying budget brand shimmery lipsticks because they usually come with drying finish and a not too flattering color. NYX lipsticks do get some good reviews in general but but if you notice a little trend, there are always certain shades that get mentioned over and over again. I hear "Thalia", "Circe", "Strawberry Milk" and "Snow white" all the time and coincidentally they are all shimmerless with a cream finish.

    Anyway, if you were really to quit the brand all together I don't think it would be that much of a big deal but at the same time you might be missing on other things you haven't tried. (Anyway, since they do have a free shipping sale going on in Cherryculture this weekend, and maybe I will just try out one or two lipsticks...I probably wouldn't buy the two shades you mentioned because it seems silly to buy cosmetic to "prove a review is right/wrong" while I know I wouldn't actually use it.)

    ReplyDelete